Larvatus Prodeo Nostalgia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hello again
What i learnt from taking part on L P EmptyThu Sep 18 2014, 13:41 by Guest

» What are people reading?
What i learnt from taking part on L P EmptySun Jun 08 2014, 15:21 by Terangeree

» That Man Abbott
What i learnt from taking part on L P EmptyThu May 22 2014, 22:27 by Guest

» Quiet around here
What i learnt from taking part on L P EmptyMon Mar 10 2014, 10:52 by Guest

» Hello Hola Guten Tag
What i learnt from taking part on L P EmptyThu Feb 27 2014, 00:50 by Guest

» Gender Segregation
What i learnt from taking part on L P EmptySat Feb 22 2014, 03:55 by Guest

» DVD Box Sets
What i learnt from taking part on L P EmptyTue Feb 18 2014, 23:38 by Paul Burns

» Here we go again!
What i learnt from taking part on L P EmptyTue Feb 18 2014, 00:24 by Paul Burns

» Nielson Poll
What i learnt from taking part on L P EmptyMon Feb 17 2014, 22:57 by Guest

Keywords

What i learnt from taking part on L P

Go down

What i learnt from taking part on L P Empty What i learnt from taking part on L P

Post by Graham Bell Wed Jan 29 2014, 04:48

One important thing I did learn from reading and conversing on Larvatus Prodeo is that Australian society has changed.   A lot of specific changes were obvious, of course, but participating on LP drew a lot of these individual changes into patterns.

The traditional three social classes ( and their sub-classes) and the traditional Left-Right political spectrum have been supplemented - and largely replaced - by several newer groupings: sub-cultures, perhaps.

Graham Bell

Back to top Go down

What i learnt from taking part on L P Empty Feminists

Post by jumpy Tue Feb 04 2014, 13:32

What I learnt from LP was that feminist totally ignore the biggest, and spreading, misogynistic evil in the world = Islam.
Even Gillard didn't " call it out " in the M.E. the other day.
I raise the issue but got [ redacted ], " stoush bait " or some sh1t.
I suspect the Mod at the time was and is an admitted feminist.
What are they afraid of ?
Even Val, who could find rampant sexism in comment about a Vegemite sandwich, turns a blind eye.
I can't explain this phenomenon, perhaps someone can help me.
Feminists?

jumpy

Back to top Go down

What i learnt from taking part on L P Empty Re: What i learnt from taking part on L P

Post by Admin Tue Feb 04 2014, 15:48

Can understand your fear and concern about Islam, Jumpy, but don't forget that a lot of decent people who try to do good in the world take their guidance from Islam.  

Strange but I can't recall much discussion on LP about Islam .... shall check the LP archives next weekend to see what was said about Islam and in what contexts.

((Hope this reply comes up under my own nom-de-moi and not under "Admin" again))

Admin
Admin

https://lpnostalgia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What i learnt from taking part on L P Empty Islam

Post by Jumpy Sat Feb 08 2014, 05:47

In fact Islam was totally ignored on LP.
Consider all the pet subjects there.
According to sharia law gays are killed, not offended or discriminated against, Killed!
Adultery or promiscuity ? killed.
Express free speech about religion ? ( offend a dead prophet ) beheaded.
Question male superiority deserves a jolly good thrashing or killed.
Forced marriage, genital mutilation, rape victims punished for provocation ?
No, not a peep.
And its not just LP but the entire left.
Its like " the conservatives hate em, so we gotta love em "
Islam is about as anti-liberal and anti-progresive as you can find, yet silence from the most vocal warriors.

Jumpy

Back to top Go down

What i learnt from taking part on L P Empty Re: What i learnt from taking part on L P

Post by Paul Burns Sat Feb 08 2014, 08:10

Wrong , jumpy.
There was at least one very long discussion on Islamic dress which occurred again and again

Paul Burns

Back to top Go down

What i learnt from taking part on L P Empty reply to PB

Post by jumpy Sat Feb 08 2014, 13:28

That's it ?
A spirited debate on dress code, wow, well, that changes everything.
Even with your eyes fixed you choose to keep them closed.

jumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Bell Sun Feb 09 2014, 15:51

Jumpy:  It wasn't just Larvatus Prodeo that seemed to be reluctant to have robust discussions about islam and what it means to the future of Australia.   That went right across the board.    There were more No-Go Areas than you could poke a big stick at: the shameful neglect of our own South Sea Islander pioneers, the stealing of babies from unmarried mothers, migration fraud, the awarding of medals and honours to the manifestly undeserving, dangerously incompetent professionals, dodgy degrees - these and a heck of a lot more were no-go areas.   Discussions that stuck to the accepted line were alright but heaven help anyone who deviated from the accepted line.   The informal social penalties for stepping out of line were - and are - both nebulous and harsh; that's why I had a good belly-laugh at whinges from Australian commentators about the lack of freedom of expression in Russia.

I think you are unfair picking on Larvatus Prodeo alone when everybody in Australian intellectual life was self-censoring because they were dead-scared of being branded racist or red-neck or discriminatory or inflammatory for merely asking the wrong questions or for asking the right questions but without the required level of obsequiousness or even for raising a topic.

That's just my opinion, for what its worth.

Graham Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Bell Sun Feb 09 2014, 16:05

I would like to emphasize that when I said, in my comment above, "That went right across the board" I was referring to a whole range of forums in Australia and I was certainly not picking on Larvatus Prodeo.

Graham Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum