» Nielson Poll
Mon Feb 17 2014, 22:57 by Guest

Keywords

That Man Abbott

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

That Man Abbott

Post by Paul Burns on Wed Jan 29 2014, 07:20

You have all by now, I gather read of Abbott's threats against the ABC for daring to report allegations from Indonesia that refugees were mistreated by the RN, and even worse daring to report that we had spied on Indonesia and actually tapped the phone of the Indonesian President's wife. Abbott seemed to think the ABC was disloyal to Australia for reporting news he disn't want us to hear.
One common response of readers of these various newspaper articles is that Abbott is getting very scary in a real kind of way.
I suppose the only amusing thing out of all this is the revelation that Abbott can't tell the diffetrence between a tide and a current.

Paul Burns

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: That Man Abbott

Post by Graham Bell on Wed Jan 29 2014, 13:56

Mr Abbott & Co. may be under powerful and unavoidable obligations to repay those who got them elected - but attacking the ABC is not only gross ingratitude but is a folly that will come back to bite the corporate interests of those who sooled them on to do it.

b.t.w., How did you like the decision by gangplank-dodgers to cut the pay of ADF personnel still serving in very hazardous places?    Yeah, I know, the spinmeisters said it was Defence that made that decision - but didn't say Defence was probably commanded to make exactly that decision, did they?

Graham Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by jules for real on Wed Jan 29 2014, 14:54

I wouldn't take his threats against the ABC too seriously. It would be political suicide to really hurt it. even cutting more funding will bite him cos the cuts will hit the ABC in the bush and that is where people who would otherwise vote for him rely on the ABC.

jules for real

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Burns on Wed Jan 29 2014, 23:37

jules,
If the ABC continues to embarrass him, rather than behaving as a Liberal Party propaganda organ, as they did when Labor was governing, I would not expect Abbott to behave rationally.
GB,
Yes, after we've chewed them up and spat them out, we cut their pay. This has to be a behind-the-scenes Abbott directive.

Paul Burns

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ronsondalby on Fri Jan 31 2014, 06:26

This is what it's all about since Gillard denied Murdoch the Asian jewel:

"Another signal has emerged that the Abbott government intends to strip the ABC of its international broadcasting service – the Australia Network – in a significant concession to Rupert Murdoch and to conservative commentators critical of public broadcasting."

theguardian.com/media/2014/jan/30/abc-faces-australia-network-loss
ronsondalby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Burns on Sat Feb 01 2014, 01:21

I'm not sure whether I should put this in a new environmental thread or here.
I'm so gobsmacked by the giving of permission to dump sludge on the Barrier Reef from Abbott Point and the attempt to cut back the World Heritage Area in Tasmania that, more than any other time I'm at a loss for words at the Abbott Government.
I suppose the only good news is that its very difficult to delist a World Heritage Area once its listed.
Once more Abbott trashes Australia's name overseas.

Paul Burns

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jules for real on Sat Feb 01 2014, 05:14

Paul i thought the funding for the abc for the next few years had been signed off on and that Abbott couldn't change it without new legislation.

I may be wrong, but if I'm right I think he has Buckley's of getting any legislation to cut the ABC's funding thru both houses.

jules for real

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Burns on Sat Feb 01 2014, 08:09

jules for real,
I hope you're right.
I thought it went budget to budget, but if its triennial or something that would be good.

Paul Burns

Back to top Go down

Post by jules for real on Sat Feb 01 2014, 12:51

PB  there's this:

Funding

The ABC is financed by the federal government, primarily through triennial funding arrangements. Major sources of data relating to ABC funding are the Annual Reports of the Corporation and the Commonwealth Budget Papers.

Other relevant information on funding can be found in the ABC Triennial funding submissions (such as the most recent submission for 2006-2009) and documents such as the 2006-07 Portfolio Budget Statement.

Budget documents relating to the Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts (DCITA), which has responsibility for the ABC, also provide information on funding.

w w w dot aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/Publications_Archive/archive/fundingabc From here.

ht tp: //w w w dot budget.gov.au/2013-14/content/bp2/html/bp2_expense-06.htm Here's last years budget.

So I think at least 2.5 billion is pegged in.

Last edited by jules for real on Sat Feb 01 2014, 12:53; edited 1 time in total

jules for real

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jules for real on Sat Feb 01 2014, 12:52

BTW There are links there that I couldn't post properly cos new members aren't allowed to post links for a week. I'll edit them so they're in italics.

jules for real

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Bell on Sat Feb 01 2014, 13:08

(a) ABC.  Wouldn't be so bad if they were flogging off the ABC for a quick quid - but it looks to me as though they are going to gut the ABC simply to repay their lord-and-master for having them elected.

(2) DREDGING. So why the blazes aren't they using that dredged material for land reclamation or a similar purpose .... or else taking it way out beyond the edge of the continental shelf and adverse currents and then dumping it out there, as is done with the New York garbage scows.   Looks like dumping the stuff on the Great Barrier Reef is as deliberate as it is childish; it just doesn't make sense in commercial terms, that's for sure.

Graham Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Burns on Sun Feb 02 2014, 06:08

Then there's that peculiar deal last year where Fox bought up all BBC drama programmes except Dr. Who for pay TV. So they will soon no longer be able to be seen on free to air, ABC or anywhere else. Anti-siphoning laws are fine for sport but not culture it seems. That one was Labor's fault not Abbott, but we'll wait till the cows come home if we expect Abbott to reverse it.

Paul Burns

Back to top Go down

Test

Post by Jumpy on Sun Feb 02 2014, 08:17

Test  Question Question 

Jumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 02 2014, 14:25

G'day, Jumpy.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://lpnostalgia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Burns on Tue Feb 04 2014, 05:33

Now Sharman Stone, Liberal MP for Goulburn is calling Tony Abbott a liar (and Joe Hockey over SPC.
They lied about excessively good union conditions and used the refusal to fund SPC as an excuse to bash unions.
Well, thanks, Sharman. But we already knew Abbott was a liar. Big time.

Paul Burns

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Remember Dionne Quints on Tue Mar 04 2014, 10:58

The Australian left was happy to proclaim to all and sundry before the election that "Abbott will never be Prime Minister".

If they continue to underestimate Abbott, they will pay a heavy price.

Remember how Bismarck's diplomacy kept France in helpless isolation for years?

The French underestimated him, too.
Remember Dionne Quints

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Bell on Tue Mar 04 2014, 14:50

You're right about not underestimating Abbott.  

Whether he is his own man or merely a corporate puppet, Abbott is still an intelligent, determined, ruthless chameleon.    His failures are many - as were those of Menzies, McMahon, Hawke and what's-his-name, George Bush's "Man Of Steel" (TM) - but in the absence of either an effective Opposition or of a credible popular movement, he will be there forever and a day.

Good point about Bismarck.

Graham Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Burns on Mon Mar 17 2014, 04:13

I haven't been that well, in hospital for a few days, but I'm okay now; however while there I was amazed at the vehemence of negative attitudes to Abbott, alongside some of the comments from the March on March rallies (which I was too sick to get to.) One person told me she wouldn't be surprised if someone shot Abbott. And I don't think she was a lefty.
Scary times.

Paul Burns

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Bell on Tue Mar 25 2014, 14:46

They have brought it on themselves.   That renegade, Pig-Iron Bob Menzies, may have been one of the worst Prime Ministers we ever had but he was intelligent and cunning enough not to keep on impoverishing and humiliating those who voted for his coalition.

One unfortunate aspect of the celebrity politics imposed on us by the foreign-controlled media is that everything is focused on The Great Leader - and the current sucker in that position is Tony Abbott.   That means when things are fine, he is a demi-god; when things go wrong and people are hurt through no fault of their own, be becomes the Devil Incarnate.   The problem is that a small minority of the dumbed-down public have been normalized to violence and ultra-violence; it is they who will try to do something, anything, to get rid of what they mistakenly see as the sole cause of ALL their problems .... which, in this case - right or wrong, is Tony Abbott.    I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a queue, a few hundred long, of people who are seriously thinking about how they would do Tony Abbott in ( as though brassing him up would solve anything at all).

Trouble is, given the nature of the electronic opium and infomercial media, how would you get an effective message through to such people that bumping off Tony Baloney would be a complete waste of time?

Graham Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Sir Graham on Tue Mar 25 2014, 21:04

Hope you are in better health now, Sir Paul.

Professor Sir Graham

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Burns on Tue Mar 25 2014, 23:47

Hi, Graham. Am okay now and will be so long as I stick to a no fat diet.
Abbott's new honours system, apart from being an anachronistic joke, is a distraction I think. But from what? More horrors, I'm sure, and of course the chooks have fallen for it.

Paul Burns

Back to top Go down

Post by Remember Dionne Quints on Wed Mar 26 2014, 09:16

Left wingers can be pretty stupid sometimes.
Take their claim that any investigation of a leftist is "McCarthyism". No, McCarthyism is false accusations of leftist beliefs. Investigating actual communists such as Paul Robeson is not McCarthyism.
Tigtog pulled this stunt on her blog when a 1950s folk singer famous for his actual communism, died. She praised his "civil non-cooperation", deliberately not mentioning that he was an actual communist and therefore it was perfectly legitimate to investigate him.
Remember Dionne Quints

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Bell on Wed Mar 26 2014, 12:44

Investigating the activities who is a potential or actual threat to the security and lives of the citizens of a country is fine - so long as it is impartial, is based on robust credible evidence and is not for someone's personal, financial, social or political gain.

Trouble is, in Australia, tory/rightwing/thatcherite governments (they're NOT conservative!) have a very poor track record of chasing any rightwing dodginess.   The only outstanding example was against Croatian extremists here - and then only because they were mainly Catholic.   Even at the height of the Viet-Nam War, there was a distinct shyness about checking out Australian businesses that might have been dealing with Red China and Communist North Viet-Nam through third countries.   Nor was there any keen interest n what Joh's side-kick, Russ Hinz, was doing with the Moscow Narodny Bank.   The list goes on .... so it is no wonder that lefties feel they were picked on.

Graham Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by Remember Dionne Quints on Wed Mar 26 2014, 20:56

For what it's worth the "Hiroshima and Nagasaki were crimes" belief is also largely a post 1960s coinage - before that the memory of things like the Japanese Unit 731 was enough to convince people that Japan deserved retributive suffering for what they had done.
Remember Dionne Quints

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Burns on Sun Mar 30 2014, 02:45

The first recorded comment about Hiroshima was from one of the bombardiers seconds after the bomb went off. he said "Oh My God! What have we done!?"

Paul Burns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum